Sports & Recreation
Gore & Mataura Sports Fields
The Gore District has 54.5ha of sports fields. The Council looks after sports fields in Gore and Mataura, while the Waikaka Sports Complex and Pukerau reserve are looked after by their respective communities.
Gore sports fields include:
- Newman Park - athletics, rugby and touch rugby
- Hamilton Park - cricket
- Hyde Park - soccer
- Gore town belt - bowls, croquet and tennis
Mataura sports fields include
- Tulloch Park - rugby
- Henderson Park - equestrian, including Mataura Pony Club base.
Booking a sports field
- Groups and clubs must book a reserve or playing field. Please do not assume you have the right to use the field without a booking.
- You can make a booking with our customer service team, phone 209 0330.
- Bookings are on a “first in first serve” basis, except for Club lessees whose events take precedence.
- If you don't make a booking, you may find scheduled mowing or turf maintenance taking place and may be asked to leave.
- You need to advise the scope of use when making a booking (eg. school athletics, fair etc).
- If you have specific requirements (eg toilets blocks opened, gates unlocked etc) please tell us at the time of making the booking.
- No vehicles are permitted on any Council recreational reserve without the specific approval of the Parks and Recreation Manager or their delegated officer.
- Any damage will be repaired by the Council. We will recover costs from the group/club using the sports field at the time.
- Please put your rubbish in the bins provided. If there are no bins available, you must take your rubbish with you at the end of each day.
- Booking clashes shall be mediated by the Parks and Recreation Manager.
- All bookings are required to have the contact details of the person responsible for organising the event, including daytime contact telephone numbers.
The Gore A & P Showgrounds is one of the most picturesque showgrounds in the South Island. It covers just over 11ha in a park-like setting. The Gore A & P Association's annual show is held there on the first Saturday in February.
The showgrounds is home to:
- Southland Showjumping
- Southland Dressage
- Eastern Southland Riding for the Disabled
- Gore Woodworkers' Club
- Gore Anglers' Club
- Gore Spinners and Weavers Club
You will find:
|Southern Equestrian Park Trust all-weather arena||Multiple playing fields|
|Multi-purpose Hokonui Pavilion||Livestock selling pavilion and undercover stock yards,|
|Softball diamonds||Storage sheds|
|Main ring with its sand-base grass surface||Grandstand and supporting buildings|
The showgrounds is popular with motorhomers. You will find details about facilities and rates on our Motorhome Friendly Gore page.
The caretaker is Dawn Ross, phone 027 644 9909.
For more information go to www.goreapshowgrounds.co.nz.
Waikaka Sports Complex
The Waikaka Sports Complex is just 22 minutes from Gore. It is in the township of Waikaka, which has a strong and proud sporting heritage.
The Waikaka Combined Sports Association manages the complex and surrounding domain. Sports facilities include a rugby field, tennis courts and squash courts.
The complex is available for hire and includes full kitchen and bar facilities.
For more information or to make a booking phone 207-2415.