Land Information Memorandum (LIM)
A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report prepared by the Council, providing a summary of all the information on our records relating to the land and any buildings on the property.
LIMs are often obtained by property owners considering selling, and developers and consultants planning property projects. Anyone can request a LIM report on any property.
A LIM contains a summary of any relevant information the Council has about a property, including the land and buildings. LIMs are issued in accordance with Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987. The Act requires LIMs to be issued within 10 working days of request and specifies minimum information to be included.
- Information about building work carried out without a permit or consent even though consent is required, including fireplaces (unless the Council has been notified)
- Information about building work not requiring a permit or consent
- A copy of the property title (Council does not issue or hold the register of property titles)
- Electricity cable details (these are not Council services)
- Location and details of drains and pipes on the property that are the owner's responsibility are often not held by the Council
- Some older building records, including floor plans, may not be held by the Council (some consents were issued by other councils prior to the creation of the Gore District Council in 1989).
- Details about noise complaints in a neighbourhood (these generally relate to people and not properties)
- It is possible there may be information about a property the Council has not been informed of or cannot locate
- Important: Council staff do not undertake an inspection of the property so cannot advise on the condition of buildings or if work has been undertaken without the necessary consents. The customer must compare the information in the LIM report against their knowledge of the property
A LIM application form must be completed for each property. You can apply for a LIM on our Do It Online portal.
For further help with an application please contact the Customer Service team on 03 209 0330
Standard fees apply to most properties. However Council reserves the right to charge a higher fee for LIMs on large or complex properties.
No. LIMs are only compiled on request and require a detailed search of all of the Council's records before they can be issued. We are not able to advise of the exact contents of a LIM before the search of our records has been undertaken.
No. Old LIMs for a property will have been paid for, prepared for the exclusive use of, and are owned by the person who requested the report. Old LIMs may also no longer contain accurate or complete information due to changes to the property or more recent information becoming available since the report was produced. If you obtain a copy of a LIM from another person, please note that the information was only accurate as at the date the LIM was prepared. Please also note that there is no guarantee that the LIM has not been altered or had parts removed. While an old LIM may be of some use to you, Council will have no liability if you rely on the contents of that report.