Ice Skating Rink
Following a recent refurbishment closure - the grand reopening of the Ice Skating Rink is this weekend (Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 March) from 2:00pm - 4:00pm.
Come along to the disco themed skate days, regular public session prices apply (club members skate for free).
Ice Sports Southland (ISS) operates New Zealand’s southern-most ice skating rink. It is part of the Gore Multisports Complex and rink bookings are managed by our aquatic centre customer service team.
You can make a booking online using our Ice Skating Rink Bookings page.
There are public sessions at the rink, as well as curling, ice hockey and figure skating opportunities. Public sessions are on:
- Saturday and Sunday 2:00pm – 4:00pm.
In the school holidays the rink is open to the public Monday to Sunday 2:00pm – 4:00pm, although this is subject to change.
Ice Skating Rink Hire
The rink is available to hire at the following times:
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 9:00am – 2:30pm
- Wednesday 10:30am – 2:30pm
- Saturday 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Sunday 4:00pm – 9:00pm
The rink is sometimes also available for hire on Wednesday & Friday 7:00pm to 9:00pm.
Social Group Charges
Minimum charge $250 per hour (group size 19 adults or less / 25 children or less)
- Each additional adult will be charged $13 per hour.
- Each additional child will be charged $10 per hour.
Charges include rink entry, use of ice, use of penguin skating aids and skate hire. Qualified ice coaches are available to teach or organise on-ice games. Cost $45 per hour.
Get a group together and book the rink for curling. Up to 40 people can play on the ice at one time.
Sessions last two hours, although longer sessions are available on request.
Four players per team is best, but you can play with only three per team. Please wear clean trainer-type footwear. Instruction is provided.
The rink is available for curling at the following times:
- Wednesday 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Saturday 4:30pm – 9:00pm
- Sunday 8:00am – 2:00pm and 4.300pm – 9:00pm
- $300 per session (group size 16 people or less).
- Each additional person $20 per session
If you can’t find the information you need on these pages, you can contact:
- Rink manager: Drew McMillan, email [email protected]
- Curling group coordinator: Brian Dillon, phone 027-4578-186 or email [email protected]
- Curling group coordinator: Lindsay Steven, phone 027-4929-878 or email [email protected]
Ice Sports Southland Group Booking Policy
This policy applies to anyone attending curling, figure skating or ice hockey sessions.
- All members of the public must wear the yellow helmets provided by ISS.
- Anyone involved in a fall or accident must report straight away to their instructor, coach, or boot room attendant to be assessed and fill out an accident report.
- The public use the rink at their own risk.