East Gore Arts Centre
The arts centre is located in the former East Gore Presbyterian Church. Designed by prominent architect RA Lawson and built in 1881, the main historic church building and later 1960’s hall addition are sited on terraced land overlooking the Mataura River.
The completed art centre will host six key components:
- A fully functioning lithographic studio featuring plant and equipment kindly gifted by Muka Studios of Auckland
- A broad purpose printmaking studio with etching and woodblock printing facilities
- A painting and general purpose studio space
- A self-contained flat for visiting artists
- A temporary exhibition space
- An art education centre in the main historic church building
The art centre will serve to complement the Eastern Southland Gallery exhibition and outreach programmes. It will also provide opportunities for on-going artist-in-residence programmes, as well as sponsored fellowships, master-classes and school-based art projects.
For more details go to the Eastern Southland Gallery's website.