If you are moving stock along a road in the Gore District, or across a road, you need to ensure your safety, that of your stock and of course the safety of other road users.
You need to apply for a permit to drove stock along a road. This can be done through our Do It Online portal.
What You Should Know
Our Roading Bylaw sets out a traffic management plan to help you with droving stock along or across a road.
A few points to remember are:
- all droves over 10km or through urban areas require a permit,
- no droving during the hours of darkness,
- drovers and assistants are to wear a high visibility vest or jacket,
- ensure stock warning signs are clearly visible for a minimum of 100m, and
- road surfaces should be kept free of debris and effluent.
Planning ahead, keeping stock moving and under control at all times, and making sure you are visible will remove some of the stress from moving stock.
If you want more information, here's the relevant appendices from the Roading Bylaw.
Please contact our Roading team, phone 209 0330, if you have any questions.