Exercising Your Dog
There are two dog parks in the Gore District - one is in Gore, adjacent to Hamilton Park, the other is in Mataura, next to Henderson Park.
Gore Dog Park
Mataura Dog Park
We have a few guidelines to make sure a visit to the park is an enjoyable one for the dog and its owner.
- No dogs without people
- Pick up and get rid of your dog's poo in the bin provided
- No dogs on heat or in pup
- Pay attention to your dogs - you are responsible for its behaviour
- No aggressive dogs
- Dog must wear a collar and current local authority registration tag
There are seats and obstacles at the Gore park. Water and doggie bags are available at both parks.
Both parks also have a designated small dog area, for breeds 8kgs or less, and a designated large dog area.
There are other areas where dogs can be exercised at large. The person responsible for the dog must carry a leash and have the dog under continuous control. They must also remove and dispose of any droppings left by their dog.
The exercise areas are:
- River Street flood bank
- Woolwich Street Walnut Grove
- River Terrace
- Hamilton Park – perimeter only NOT on the sports field
- Henderson Park dog park
- East river bank below the main bridge
- South bridge area by Waimumu Stream
Dogs are not allowed at:
- Children’s playgrounds.
- All school grounds.
- The designated playing area of all marked sports grounds.
- Gore Public Gardens
- Ardwick Street Reserve
- Newman Park
- Wayland Park
- Hyde Park
- Triangle Reserve
- Henderson Park, in Mataura
- Dolamore Park Scenic Reserve
There will be areas where, from time to time, a temporary ban will be put in place because of wildlife, stock or other issues. We will publicly notify such bans by way of signage and advertising.