Voting in our District
The Council has four wards. People living in each ward can vote for their candidate. The Mayor and three councillors are elected at large - this means everyone in the District who is enrolled can vote for them.
Elections are held once every three years. If there is an unexpected vacancy, a by-election may need to be held.
We vote by post. Voting documents are mailed to those people whose names are confirmed on the electoral roll. If your name is not on the final electoral roll you may still qualify to cast a special vote.
The election wards are:
Gore District Council
- Mayor elected at large
- 3 District-wide councillors elected at large
- 5 councillors to represent the Gore Ward
- 1 councillor to represent each of the following: Kaiwera/Waimumu Ward, Mataura Ward, and Waikaka Ward
Mataura Community Board
- 5 members elected by the Mataura ward
Mataura Licensing Trust
- 3 members to represent the Gore Ward
- 1 member to represent each of the following: Tapanui Ward, Mataura Ward, Rural Ward, Edendale Ward, Wyndham Ward, and Tokanui Ward
Southland Regional Council (Environment Southland)
- 2 members to represent the Eastern-Dome Constituency
Gore and Districts Health Incorporated
- 4 members to represent the Gore Ward
- 1 member to represent each of the following: Clutha Ward and Southland Ward.