Trade Waste

What is trade waste?

Wastewater generated by commerce or industry is classified as trade waste. Trade waste contains greater volumes of contaminants than wastewater from an average household. These discharges are monitored:

  • To meet resource consent conditions for discharge of treated effluent
  • To make sure there is no hazard to public health
  • To make sure drains are not getting blocked by trade waste discharges
  • To prevent adverse effects on the operation of council systems or staff

Individual premises may be required to have some form of trade waste on-site pre-treatment. There are many systems available and design advice should be sought from a trade waste treatment specialist.

Who needs a trade waste consent?

Almost anyone who discharges commercial or industrial waste into the sewerage system will need a trade waste consent - restaurants, mechanics, agricultural servicing businesses, dentists, hairdressers, butchers etc.

Who applies for a trade waste consent?

The business owner is responsible for holding a trade waste consent. When a business is bought or sold the trade waste consent must be re-applied for by the new business owner.

If the commercial or industrial activity on a property or at a business changes, an amendment to the existing trade waste consent should be sought. This can be arranged by calling the Council.

Applying for a new trade waste consent

A standard form is available to apply for a new trade waste consent.  A charge applies to process a consent application.  Additional charges may also apply depending on the complexity of the consent and the time it takes to process.

Trade Waste Application for Trade Waste Discharge [PDF, 533 KB]

Trade Waste Description of Trade Waste and Premises [PDF, 114 KB]

Trade Waste Application for Temporary Discharge [PDF, 84 KB]

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: