Click here to view our Infrastructure Fees & Charges [PDF, 33 KB]


Do you want to know about:

Road maintenance

Dust suppression outside your property

Preventing the spraying of vegetation outside your property 


The Gore District Council maintains 896km of roads. The majority of our roads (550km) are unsealed. There are also 118 bridges and 100km of footpaths in the District.

We fund road maintenance and renewal work from rates as well as receiving a subsidy for specific projects from the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA).

The NZTA is also responsible for state highways in the District.

Who to contact if there is a problem

If you are aware of any issues with roads or footpaths, please tell us, online or phone 03 209 0330.

You will find all the forms required to undertake various activities on our roads, such as applying oil to a metal road, on our Forms page. 

Who looks after the roads?

All work on roads in the District is carried out by contractors employed by the Council. Our current contractors are

  • K2, Fulton Hogan - gravel and sealed road maintenance, vegetation control, signs and bridge maintenance
  • Powernet - street light maintenance
  • Fulton Hogan - resealing


Gravel road grading

There are a number of factors that determine how frequently gravel roads are graded. The most important are

  • the amount of traffic on the road, and
  • weather conditions

Other factors include whether sections of a road are hilly or windy.

Our gravel roads are inspected on a four, eight or 12 weekly cycle, depending on these factors.

A road is only graded if an assessment shows it needs to be done. This avoids the cost of excessive grading. A compacting roller that is attached to the grader extends the grading cycle.

Gravel road remetalling 

The District's roads are split into four blocks for remetalling, with one block remetalled each year. You can find the schedule in our Annual Plan.


Dust suppression

Residents living on gravel roads can apply to have a 100 metre section of road outside their house sealed and 50% of the cost paid by the Council. We will also cover ongoing maintenance costs, including cyclic resealing.

You can apply online and one of our staff will contact you. Alternatively fill in the form below and email to

Eligibility criteria

The following criteria must be met:

  • House must be occupied
  • House must be within 100m (as the crow flies) of the road
  • The house must have been built before 1 October 2020

Prioritisation of applications

Applications will be prioritised should the number of sites to be sealed exceed the annual budget allocation for this work.

Prioritisation of applications will be based on:

  • Road traffic volumes as recorded on our RAMM database
  • Traffic speed
  • Temporary treatment permit history
  • Evidence of dust-related ill health
  • Water supply contamination
  • Proximity to the unsealed road
  • Prevailing wind direction
  • Other relevant factors  

Here is our Dust Suppression Policy [PDF, 153 KB]

Application Form [PDF, 147 KB] 

Dust suppressants approved under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HASNO) Act 1996 can be used without a permit from Environment Southland. Residents choosing this option do so at their own cost.  


State Highways [PDF, 1.4 MB]

There are five state highways that service the Gore District, reflecting its position as a hub for travel to Otago, Central Otago, Fiordland and Southland.

They are

  • State Highway 1
  • State Highway 90
  • State Highway 93
  • State Highway 94
  • State Highway 96

NZTA and its consultant Opus manage the state highways in the District.

However, you can ring the Council about any state highway issues and we will pass the message on to the relevant organisation.

Some activities, such as street lighting and street sweeping, are carried out by the Council with funding from NZTA.

Street lights 

Gore’s streets are lit by LED street lights. The Council replaced the town's 1304 street lights recently.  

LED lights are a better option as they are more energy efficient, have lower maintenance costs and have less light spill into the night sky, which is perfect for star gazers.


Vegetation control No Spray register

Weed spraying of vegetation on urban and rural roadsides is carried out in spring and autumn. The spraying includes the control of rural pest plants and vegetation on footpaths and kerbs.

Residents can opt not to have their frontage sprayed by applying to the Council to go on our No Spray Register. This must be done each year, so if you were on last year’s list you must still apply this year.

To have your property included on the No Spray Register you have to fill in an application form and either email to or drop it into our main office in Gore or the Mataura service centre.

No Spray Register form [PDF, 1.2 MB]

Please include a plan clearly and accurately showing your boundaries marked "No Spray". You can include an image from Google Maps if you wish.

Rural applicants must still ensure they keep the road reserve fronting their properties free of noxious weeds and urban applicants must ensure the footpaths and kerb lines are free of vegetation.

An application for inclusion on the No Spray Register is conditional upon the applicant providing written agreement to control their own vegetation to the standard required by the Council. If the property owner fails to keep the frontage in good order, the address will be removed from the register and included in the spraying programme.

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: