Resource Consents

A resource consent allows you to carry out an activity that will have an effect on the environment or use a natural resource in a way that does not comply with the requirements of our District or Regional Plans.

Applying for a consent

How much will it cost?

When is a resource consent required?

Will I need other approvals?

Can someone oppose my consent?

Notified consents

Can I avoid notification?

Can I do all this myself?

What information does the Council need?

How is my consent assessed?

When is it important to get professional help?

Applying for a resource consent

To apply for a resource consent print off and fill in the relevant application form, then lodge it at our planning department. You can find the application forms here.

To avoid delays and unexpected costs with your resource consent application:

  • talk to our planning staff early in your project planning
  • carrying out full and early consultation with any person affected by your proposal
  • provide a comprehensive well prepared Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) report
  • submit an accurate and fully documented application
  • responding promptly to our staff requests for further information

Application fees and charges

The fees and charges for resource consent applications are based on the application size, scope and purpose and staff time involved in processing the application.

A deposit is required when you lodge your application for land use or subdivision. Once your application is accepted staff time involved in processing your application is charged.  You will be invoiced when you receive your notice of decision. Depending on the final cost, the balance will be invoiced or refunded to you.

Resource Consent Fees and Charges [PDF, 50 KB]

When is a resource consent required?

Resource consent is required when:

  • Something is being done or built that is not provided for by the District or Regional Plans
  • Land is being subdivided
  • A previously approved resource consent requires renewal, change or an extension of time

Will I need other approvals?

Yes, other approvals may be required and these could include:

  • Building consents
  • Alcohol licences
  • Concessions to use Crown land
  • Resource consent from a different Council

Can someone oppose my resource consent?

Yes. An affected party is able to withhold their formal written approval, or negotiate with the person wanting the resource consent.

Any private or side agreements are outside the formal resource consent process, which means an RMA written approval cannot be conditional. If a neighbouring party chooses to withhold their approval, an application is able to proceed through limited notification, which involves only those persons or parties deemed to be directly affected.

Notified consents

If a resource consent application is publically notified anyone may make a submission on. Any submissions opposing the application maybe resolved at a pre-hearing meeting or the application may have to go to a public hearing before the Council's Hearings Committee or independent commissioners.

Can I avoid notification?

The Council will notify any resource consent if the potential adverse effects are more than minor; people who could be affected have not given their written approval; or where special circumstances justify notification. The information you give is important in the Council deciding whether to notify the resource consent.

The Council’s planning staff are available to assist you in determining the effects and the nature and scope of any resource consent that may be required. More complex applications are best dealt with by a consultant working on your behalf.

Can I do all this myself?

Yes, the majority of resource consent applications processed have been prepared by land owners themselves.

There are few problems where:

  • The consent required is because of a minor non-compliance with a rule in the plan
  • The adjoining neighbours have given their written approval
  • A pre-application meeting has identified any potential problems

What information do I need to give the Council when applying?

The Council has forms for all consent types, and these include all the information you are required to provide. The more information you provide, the easier it will be to process your application and for you to gain approval.

As a general guide in preparing your consent application you need to ensure you:

  • Fully describe your proposal and include clear plans
  • Provide an adequate AEE (Assessment of Environmental Effects) that could occur, and describe what can be done to rectify the adverse effects. The level of detail depends on the scale of the proposal, and how in or out of tune it is with the District Plan.
  • Think about how long it will take to do all the work required, allowing for construction time or other possible delays. If you think it will take longer than 2 years, then say so, as this can form part of the conditions imposed.

If you need help in determining what information to include in your resource consent, or how to present your information, then contact the Council’s Planning staff, or engage the services of a Planning Consultant.

How is my consent assessed?

The Council will look at the effects of what you do. These effects can include shading, visual impacts, noise, traffic, smell, or impacts on water quality. Unless a plan states that only certain effects can be considered, any effect can be relevant.

The Council is required to look at the difference of what you want to do and what you are allowed to do by the District Plan.  In doing this the Council will take into consideration:

  • Its own policies in the District Plan
  • Plans or documents of other council’s and government agencies
  • Documents of recognised Iwi groups
  • Various provisions in the RMA
  • In the case of discharges, alternative means of treatment and discharge

In making its assessment the Council is not able to consider trade competition, or adverse effects on any person who has given their written approval to your resource consent.

When is it important to get professional help?

It is advisable to get professional help when:

  • Council staff identify a potential problem
  • The Council requests additional information that you are unable to provide
  • A resource consent is to be notified
  • People oppose your resource consent or will not give their written approval
  • Council staff recommend declining your application
  • The Council imposes conditions you think are unacceptable
  • You want peace of mind that the process is going to give you the outcome you are wanting

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: