Food Regulations

The new Food Act

The Food Act 2014 promotes food safety by focusing on the processes of food production.

The new law recognises that each business is different – unlike the old Food Act 1981 and its one-size-fits-all approach to food safety. The new Act means that a corner dairy operator who reheats meat pies won't be treated in the same way as the meat pie manufacturer.

Depending on the scope of your food business, you will need to register to operate under either a Food Control Plan (FCP) or a National Programme (NP).

To find out which plan suits your business see the Ministry for Primary Industries' (MPI) website Where Do I Fit? tool.

What is a Food Control Plan (FCP)?

A Food Control Plan (FCP) is a step by step guide on food safety procedures that can be tailored to suit the needs of your business.

It’s a management tool for food business operators.  It includes pre-printed records, forms and a diary. 

Operating with the FCP will help your business meet its food safety and suitability requirements and demonstrate your commitment to food safety.

The two food control plans are:

  • template food control plan (template FCPs) - you build your plan from templates supplied by MPI and register with Gore District Council.
  • custom food control plans (custom FCPs) - you develop your own plan and register with MPI.

There are three levels of National Programmes, which are based on food safety risk of a business:

  • level 3 for higher risk (NP L3).
  • level 2 for medium risk (NP L2).
  • level 1 for lower risk (NP L1).

For more information see the MPI food safety page.

If you are buying a food business, you will need to transfer the previous company's approval to your name.  If the business has a food control plan you will need to apply for your own food control plan.

Any new business must comply with the new Act. 

Transition period

There is a transition period for these changes to take place.

During the first year (1 March 2016 to end of February 2017) all businesses within the food service and catering sectors with an alcohol on-licence (restaurants, takeaways, cafes/lunch bars, and catering businesses), will need to operate with a registered template FCP.

The transition for other types of food premises will follow according to a transition schedule.

Application Forms

You need to tell us exactly what your business does by filling out a scope of operations form. This form includes:

  • the Food Act sectors you operate in - for example retail, food service, or manufacturing
  • your products - the type of food you make or sell
  • your processes - how you make your food, i.e. is it reheated, fermented or sterilised
  • trading operations - how and where you sell your products

On the form, choose all of the sections that apply to your business.

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: