Fences & Boundaries

If you want to build a fence between your property and the neighbour's, you don't need to argue about how it should be done and who will pay. The Fencing Act 1978 sets out everybody's rights and obligations.

There are a number of things to consider:

  • where on the property you want to put the fence
  • how high you want it

Fences between neighbours

If you want to build a fence between your property and your neighbour's property, in general

• the middle of the fence must be on the boundary line
• a fence higher than 2.5 metres in a residential area will require planning and building consent
• adjoining owners share the cost of putting up or repairing a fence (unless one owner damages the fence, in which case they pay for the repairs)
• you can only obtain a compulsory contribution to the cost of a fence if a notice is served on the adjoining owner under the Fencing Act.

If you and your neighbour can not agree about a fence, you can take the matter to the disputes tribunal or the district court. For further advice, talk to your solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Fences on the boundary with road reserve   

Under the Fencing Act and Local Government Act - councils and the NZ Transport Agency are exempt from sharing any fencing costs with properties adjoining a road or road reserve.

Fences on the boundary with council land

You will need to contact us to determine whether you are eligible for a contribution toward the cost of maintenance or replacement of fences on the boundary between your property and the Council's property.

Gore District Council 29 Bowler Avenue Gore P: 03 209 0330 E: info@goredc.govt.nz